Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, March 27, 2019

TRIGGERS AND EATING DISORDERS

TRIGGERS= Anything that serves as a stimulus and initiates or precipitates a reaction or series of reactions to initiate or precipitate a behavior or process. (Ex. chain of events, specific reaction, psychological process)



5 TRIGGERS

TRIGGER #1 EMOTIONS
  1. Not feeling loved makes me self destructive
  2. Exposing myself too much emotionally can allow for a relapse
  3. Need for control…{stressful situations make me want to relieve my anxiety through exercise to regain control over my life}
  4. Feelings of sadness, unhappy, disappointed make me want to seek the adrenaline rush from working out as I process these feelings


TRIGGER #2 STRESS
  1. Currently Scleroderma diagnosis,
  2. Dr. Visits and constantly being weighed and it being discussed
  3. Weighing myself multiple times a day and repeating those numbers in my head
  4. Remembering medications, treatment options (see more in my book🙏 Misunderstood coming out in 2020)

TRIGGER #3 SELF TALK
  1. Lose 1-2-3 more lbs and I will be happy but that’s never the case
  2. Resetting goals and weight being included to lose weight (see more in my book 🙏Misunderstood coming out in 2020)

TRIGGER #4 SOCIAL PRESSURE/PEOPLE
  1. Hearing people talk about diets or exercise
  2. My parents and their comments about my weight

TRIGGER #5 ENVIRONMENTAL CUES
  1. Summer pool season with daughter feeling pressure to wear shorts and show my legs
  2. Winter I typically workout more so I don’t get depressed. I can layer my clothes so nobody can see I’ve lost weight.
  3. Early spring I fast to lost weight for summer (I naturally do this without thinking) I end up being dehydrated and get sick like clockwork and hate that I do it. This is something I’m working on regarding the transition in seasons here in Ohio.
  4. Fall seems to be the most balanced time of year for me statistically speaking.
  5. I didn’t start wearing t-shirts to the gym until just a few years ago. For about twenty-five years I hid behind sweatshirts and baggy pants. After having my daughter I realized at my age it was time to try to start appreciating my body and stop hiding from it. This was a huge milestone i accomplished in the last few years.

No comments: